So-called new atheist Sam Harris maintains that moral values are really scientific facts, and that they have no connection to God (indeed, God does not exist, thinks Harris).
Episode 35 is an analysis of a recent talk given by Harris gave on science and human values. The talk was part of a TED conference, and you can see it here. Here I offer an explanation of how I think he has failed. In brief, I think his entire presentation is an exercise in circular reasoning.
Harris has a new book on the subject, The Moral Landscape, which is to be released later this year.
- Coming up…
- The New Atheism, Science and Morality – University of Auckland
- Public Lecture: The New Atheism, Science and Morality
- Why are you quoting Sam Harris on Israel? (Religion is not the problem!)
- Episode 041: The Epistemological Objection to Divine Command Ethics
- Debate Review: William Lane Craig and Sam Harris